“And whoever wants to be first, must be slave of all." -Mark 10:44
“Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood." -Acts 20:28
“Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church? He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into devil’s trap." -1 Timothy 3:1-7
“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." -2 Timothy 2:15
“To be elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ’s sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers-not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothes yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." -1 Peter 5:1-5
When we, as a church, come to the task of searching for our next senior pastor and ponder the qualification of the senior pastor, we must look at what the Bible says and understand the will of God for church elders/overseers. In the above Bible verses, we conclude the following qualifications.
- The life of the senior pastor must be renewed and called to be God’s vocational/full-time minister who shall have close relationship with God, daily devotion in prayer, and good testimonies of faithfulness and spirituality before the church and all others.
- The senior pastor shall the characteristics of a servant, following the example of servanthood of Jesus Christ, being a good model of the church and all others.
- The senior pastor shall have solid Bible knowledge with spiritual gift in preaching and eagerness to teach, focusing on the Bible, and correctly handle the word of truth.
- The senior pastor shall have visionary gift with long-term visions to encourage and to equip church co-workers and leaders, according to God’s will, delegating, empowering others for teamwork, leading by example to build the church and shepherd the church.
- The senior pastor shall have the qualities and life style found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
Such mature servant of God is rare. We shall ask our heavenly Father to provide. The search of the senior pastor is a process through prayers. Let us humbly pray before God for His provision and for church unity in the decision to discern the senior pastor called by God. Below are the prayer requests:
- Thank the Lord leading brothers and sisters faithfully praying for the search of the senior pastor.
- Ask the Lord to continuously guide the process of the search of the senior pastor. Only through prayer we can discern and obey God’s will and to keep the faithfulness of the pastoral searching committee in the teaching of the Lord in the Bible and the guidance of the Holy Spirit so that all the decisions made are acceptable to God.
- Ask God to call the future senior pastor who is not ashamed, is prudent for himself and for the church, and is a good shepherd of the church.
- Ask God to equip and prepare the future senior pastor so that he may have the necessary quality to shepherd the church, well-educated and gifted.
Pastoral search for the next senior pastor is the responsibility of every member of GBC. We sincerely invite you to pray for the senior pastor search.
Invitation from pastoral team, deacon committee and pastoral search committee